Saturday, February 21, 2026

Slow-Mo: Cinematography Research

Cinematography of How to Properly use Slow-Motion?



In our film the first 2 shots are composed of Slow-Motion. According to multiple sources there are two ways to apply slow-motion through Cinematography (Cine.) and editing. As a Cine. I will naturally use the method of Dropping Frames Per Second (FPS). But our phones haves an extra variant of the FPS. In this post I will look at each variants and how/when to use it. Here are some sources: 

FPS:

The two versions that I can consistently use is 30 and 60 Fps. Using 30fps vs. 60fps: Which Is Better For Videos? - CameraGurus as a broad research source, I was able to find out to reasons to use the other over the other.

60 FPS:

  • Smoother motion
  • Faster Shots

30 FPS:

  • Choppy movement
  • Slower Shots
When you switch between the shots, they add a Slow-Motion or a speed up. Disturbing balance by the change. From this source I was able to gain a better understanding of the purpose to each version of FPS outside of video games. This will definitely help our film with the first two scenes.

How To Use FPS on a Galaxy-Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S24's: How to the Set the Camera Video Auto FPS to OFF/30 FPS Only/30 & 60 FPS Videos
This video and trying out on my phone, I was able to figure out the kinks to the FPS for filming and to make one be automatic. With me sticking to UHD FPS for this to keep a high quality of pixels. 

Overall:

To be able to make a slow-motion shot you have to change the FPS of the shots. Taking inspiration from other murder mystery films, the establishing shots will be in slow-motion to add emphasis to the location.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Cut